Internal Medicine Residency
Global Health Training
Department of Medicine
Gray Bigelow 730
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
Explore Global Health training
Medicine residents are eligible as junior and senior residents to participate in an away rotation. Away rotations provide residents the opportunity to participate in clinical, research or other leadership experiences complementing their clinical training and rotations at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Over one-third of graduating residents annually have participated in an away elective during their residency training at Mass General. Since 2015, 125 Department of Medicine residents have rotated at over 80 different sites around the globe and within the United States. Approximately 30% of these rotations have occurred at our institutional partner sites in Uganda and the Indian Health Services in South Dakota.
Refugee, Immigrant and Global Health Ambulatory Elective
This two-week ambulatory rotation prepares residents for global health clinical experiences as well as focusing on care for refugees and immigrants locally. Offered throughout the year, the rotation provides an array of clinical and didactic experiences to introduce residents to a wide variety of disease and global health topics.
Global Medicine Course
Available to all interested residents, this four week course seeks to:
- Expose participants to physician leaders engaging in health equity and social justice through a variety of career paths
- Explore how social factors and systems contribute to health disparities
- Examine local and global programs working for health equity
- Create a learning environment where participants’ can share their own experiences
- Encourage active engagement in improving the health of vulnerable populations
Teaching methods include case studies, lectures, critical reading of literature, faculty panels, interactive team-based problem-solving and integrated community-based experiences.
Global Health Mentorship and Research
Mass General Medicine Residents with an interest in global health are offered mentorship and support throughout their residency careers. The program assists each resident in identifying scholarly and research opportunities that best suit their academic interests and career aspirations within global health.
Other Global Health Didactic Opportunities
Throughout the year, Mass General Medicine residents have the opportunity to participate in:
- Global Health Grand Rounds
- Global Health Journal Club
- Global Health Resident Reports and case conferences with our partner sites
- Dinner discussions, career panels and networking opportunities around the Mass General and Boston global health community.
Partnerships and Training Sites
The Mass General Department of Medicine has established local and international partnerships to provide global health training opportunities for Medicine residents. Opportunities emerging out of these collaborations include clinical, educational, evaluative and research activities geared toward developing our residents’ careers and meeting the needs of our partners.
- Mass General Global Health
- Mass General's Mongan Institute
- Mbarara University of Science and Technology (Uganda)
- Bugoye Health Center III (Uganda)
- Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program
- Indian Health Service and Mass General's Rural Health Leadership Fellowship
- Edendale Hospital (KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa)
- Consortium for Affordable Medical Technology (CAMTech)
- Mass General Disaster Response
- Mass General Brigham Center for Expertise in Global and Humanitarian Health
- Harvard Medical School Department of Global Health and Social Medicine
- Harvard Global Institute
Internal Medicine Residency Program
For more than 75 years, our program has brought experience, commitment and a rigorous and balanced approach to the training.
Graduate Medical Education at Mass General
Learn from residents, fellows and program leaders about the exceptional learning experiences offered at Mass General.
Internal Medicine Residency Program
For more than 75 years, the Department of Medicine Internal Medicine Residency Training Program at Massachusetts General Hospital has brought experience, commitment and a rigorous and balanced approach to the training.