Division of Internal Medicine
Healthy Lifestyle Program
Jacob Mirsky, MD, MA
Explore This Program
We empower people to engage in healthy lifestyles by integrating clinical practice, education, research and community programs.
Establish the practice of healthy lifestyle as the standard of care for the prevention and treatment of chronic disease.
What Is Lifestyle Medicine?
"Lifestyle medicine is an evidence-based approach to preventing, treating and even reversing diseases by replacing unhealthy behaviors with positive ones," according to the American College of Lifestyle Medicine.
6 Ways to Improve Health »
Free Webinar Series: Healthy for the HolidaysLearn about the benefits of healthy lifestyle change to power you through the holiday season. All webinars are free and last 45 minutes. No registration required. The Zoom link for each of these webinars is: https://partners.zoom.us/j/87063233484
Webinar #1: Nutrition for Good Health
Sarah Matathia, MD (Primary Care Physician, Everett Family Care)
Watch the webinar »
Webinar #2: Reduce Holiday Stress
Jacob Mirsky, MD (Primary Care Physician, Revere Healthcare Center)
Watch the webinar »
Webinar #3: Goal-Setting for Sustainable Behavior Change
Katie Engels (Health and Wellness Coach, Beacon Hill Primary Care)
Watch the webinar »
Virtual Group Visits (VGVs)The Mass General Division of General Internal Medicine Healthy Lifestyle Program is pioneering the integration of lifestyle-focused Virtual Group Visits (VGVs) into primary care. VGVs allow multiple patients with a shared diagnosis, such as diabetes or obesity, to be in the same virtual room at the same time with a provider for 60-90 minutes. Providers can focus on motivating patients and sharing education on Lifestyle Medicine. During VGVs, providers also conduct individual check-ins with each patient. In addition, other team members, such as Health and Wellness Coaches, can provide patient support during a VGV. The VGV care delivery model is now being expanded to specialties in the Mass General Department of Medicine.
Free Virtual Exercise Classes
The Healthy Lifestyle Program is proud to partner with the MGH Revere Wellness Center to offer free virtual exercise classes to all patients at Mass General Brigham. Daily classes last 45-60 minutes and no equipment or prior experience is necessary. Mass General Brigham patients can call 781-485-6400 to learn more and register.View schedule »
- Shared Medical Appointments" with Jacob Mirsky, MD - The Whole Health Cure podcast - November 15, 2021
- American College of Lifestyle Medicine Announces New National Council to Facilitate Pioneering Trend of Lifestyle Medicine Integration into Health Systems – June 8, 2021
- Virtual Group Visits: Hope for Improving Chronic Disease Management in Primary Care During and After the COVID-19 Pandemic – American Journal of Health Promotion – April 28, 2021
- It's now up to health systems to solve our food problems – The Hill – September 29, 2020
- Lifestyle medicine for all: Healthy food comes first – Harvard Health Blog – September 24, 2020
- Addressing Food Insecurity in the Community Through an Academic Food Pantry – Harvard Medical School Center for Primary Care
- Chronic Disease Management in the COVID-19 Era – AJMC – July 9, 2020
- Good for Profits, Good for Patients: A New Form of Medical Visits – Medscape – June 29, 2020
- MGH Revere Pilots Therapeutic Food Pantry – Mass General – February 12, 2020
- Effectiveness of Lifestyle Intervention for Type 2 Diabetes in Primary Care: the REAL HEALTH-Diabetes Randomized Clinical Trial – Journal of General Internal Medicine – January 21, 2020
Stoeckle Center Seminar (March 26, 2021)
Some Helpful Resources
Explore our prevention-as-treatment approach to caring for the heart.
For patients who have been diagnosed with heart disease or have had a heart attack.
These exercises videos can be used as single workouts or as part of a fitness plan.
Discover programs that help patients and caregivers cope with a cancer diagnosis.
Meet Our Director
Jacob Mirsky, MD, MA leads the lifestyle-medicine program.
- Instructor, Harvard Medical School
Meet Our Members
- Ben Crocker, MD
- Helen Delichatsios. MD
- Katie Engels
- Chris Gelev, MD
- Liz Lincoln, MD
- Sarah Matathia, MD
- Humberto Moncayo
- Anne Thorndike, MD
- Amy Wheeler, MD
Health Systems Council Founding Member
We are proud to announce that we are a founding member of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine Health Systems Council, a group dedicated to supporting the pioneering trend of implementing lifestyle medicine into some of the largest and most innovative health organizations in the U.S. Learn more >