Major Milestones in Neurology
More about Mass General Neurology
Learn more about our history, our goals and our mission.
Among the First & Best
Since 1872 our department has helped map out the intricacies of the brain and nervous system and shaped what neurology care is today. Among our major milestones are the development of the first functional MRI machine and discovery of numerous genes that contribute to neurological diseases.
We consistently place among the top neurology departments in the United States, according to U.S. News & World Report.
Standard-Setting Research and Care
Mass General hosts one of the nation's largest hospital-based neuroscience research programs, and our department's investigators and clinicians have pioneered a number of research breakthroughs. We focus on all phases of the discovery continuum, including:
- Basic research in the genetic and biochemical basis of brain function
- Translational studies linking lab findings with potential drug therapies
- Clinical trials testing the safety and effectiveness of new treatments
Many of our physicians bridge the gap between the clinic and laboratory, actively investigating potential solutions to problems observed while caring for patients. This integration of the staff's patient care and research interests hastens the development of better ways to treat and prevent neurological disorders.
The quality of our patient care is also enhanced by:
- Breadth of staff expertise: Our physicians and other medical professionals span a remarkably wide range of subspecialties and disciplines
- Emphasis on teaching: Our training programs serve as a talent incubator for rising stars in the field, which helps broaden our staff and produces fresh perspectives in treating patients
- Commitment to cutting-edge technology: For example, our brain imaging capabilities are considered among the best in the world
- Collaboration with internationally renowned specialists: Our physicians work closely with specialists in other highly ranked departments at Mass General, including neurosurgery, psychiatry, cancer and rehabilitation
Award-winning Medical Care
Mass General is recognized as a leader in patient care, education and research, and ranks among the most prestigious medical institutions.
Support the Department of Neurology
Philanthropic support for the Mass General Department of Neurology is critical to patient care, research, and education. Please consider a gift to support neurology research and clinical care today.