Neurology-Infectious Diseases Program
Explore This Treatment Program
The Neurology-Infectious Diseases Program is a unique subspecialty structured to diagnose, treat, and study the vast neurological complications of an array of infectious agents. Our section cares for patients suffering from conditions including:
- Neurological complications of HIV (including encephalopathy, neuropathy, progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, toxoplasmosis, primary CNS lymphoma, cryptococcal meningitis)
- Acute bacterial meningitis (inpatient consultation or residual neurological complications)
- Viral encephalitis (including HSV, VZV, and others)
- Parasitic infections of the brain and spinal cord (e.g. neurocysticercosis, schistosomiasis)
- Tuberculosis of the nervous system
- Syphilis of the nervous system
- Brain abscess
- Infections of the spinal cord (myelitis)
- Recurrent aseptic meningitis
- Neurological infections in transplant patients
Often these conditions are difficult to diagnose. When any of these are suspected, expert evaluation can help to confirm the proper diagnosis or to rule out diseases and point in other directions for diagnosis and management.
Research & Clinical Trials
We conduct ongoing research on neurologic complications of infectious diseases with the goal of improving care of patients with these conditions. We also participate in clinical trials, and other types of research. Please visit the Partners Clinical Trials website for more information about trials we are currently conducting.
Training & Education
As part of our mission to educate the next generation of neurologists, we train fellows from both the Division of Infectious Diseases and the Department of Neurology. Read more about the Advanced General Neurology Fellowship.
Get to know some of the doctors on our team.
- Attending Neurologist, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Instructor in Neurology, Harvard Medical School
- Instructor of Neurology, Harvard Medical School
- Director, Multiple Sclerosis and Neuromyelitis Optica Unit
- Associate Professor, Harvard Medical School
- Director, Global Health, Department of Neurology
- Associate Director, Multiple Sclerosis & Neuromyelitis Optica Unit
- Assistant Professor of Neurology
- Associate Director of the Neuro-infectious Diseases Unit
- Chief, Division of Neuroimmunology and Neuro-Infectious Diseases
- Director, Advanced General and Autoimmune Neurology Fellowship Program
- Director, Master Clinician-Educator Program