In addition to the clinical specialties, the Division of Clinical Services coordinates the work of Laboratory Support Services (customer service, outpatient specimen collection and specimen transport).
Laboratory Support Services
- Provides walk-in phlebotomy, specimen collection and EKG services in the Wang Ambulatory Care Center
- Sends pathology slides and reports to outside consultants.
- Central Phlebotomy (aka Blood Lab) and specimen collection
- Specimen transport
- To sign up for Patient Gateway and have access to your records, please click here
Laboratory Support Services Leadership
Mass General Boston Phlebotomy. WANG 221, phone: 617-726-3215 option 1
Mass General Waltham Phlebotomy, MGW room 1120, phone: 781-487-6280
Specimen Collection Center (Phlebotomy) - WACC221
Hours of Operation
Monday: 6:00 am – 5:45 pm
Tuesday: 6:00 am – 6:15 pm
Wednesday: 6:00 am – 6:15 pm
Thursday: 6:00 am – 6:15 pm
Friday: 6:00 am – 4:45 pm
Saturday and Sunday service is available in WACC108 (Medical Walk-In Unit) from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm. This service is also available on Columbus Day, President's Day and Martin Luther King Junior's Birthday when WACC221 is closed.
Outpatient phlebotomy services are not available on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, or Christmas. Phlebotomy closes at 12:00 pm on Christmas Eve.
Tuesdays and Wednesdays that follow Monday holidays are very busy, so wait times may be long.
Glucose Tolerance Testing and D+XYLOSE
Your provider must make these arrangements by calling 617-726-3215 and selecting option 3. This service is not available as walk-in.
Contact the In Vitro Fertilization Unit in the Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care at 617-726-8868.
Not available. Please contact your provider.
NOTE: Important Information for Patients
In order to expedite your service, please be sure to have a completed Mass General specimen requisition that has been completely filled in with the following information. If we do not have this information, we will not be able to collect your specimen. Please keep your requisition and paperwork clean. We cannot accept contaminated paperwork.
- Full name
- Date of birth
- MGH medical record number
- Physician name
- Required tests
- Photo identification required (Effective October 1, 2013 "Blue cards" are no longer being used as a form of identification.)
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to closing
- We do not have access to your results. Please contact your provider
- For specimens that require you not to eat (fasting) please do not eat anything after midnight, and plan to arrive no later than 9:00 AM
- If you have a history of fainting, please bring a family member or friend and inform a member of the staff
- If you need a copy of your record, please go to Medical Records at Founder's 8 or call 617-726-2361
- Service is available only for registered Mass General patients. If you are not an Mass General patient and do not have a provider here, please call Patient Registration at 866-211-6588. If your provider is not an Mass General provider, we will need to set them up in our system. Please bring all necessary information regarding your provider, and allow extra time
Mass General Waltham Phlebotomy (aka Waltham Blood Lab) and Specimen Collection
Hours of operation
Monday - Friday: 7:00 am-5:30 pm
Closed on all weekends and Holidays