Prior Events at the McCance Center
Prior Talks in the McCance Center Lecture Series
Learn about our prior talks and watch recordings here:
- 12/19/22: Bonnie Wong, PhD, Massachusetts General Hospital: Interventional Neuropsychology: Prescribing for brain health
- 12/5/22: Erin Dunn, ScD, MPH, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital: Childhood adversity and mental health: Identifying opportunities to reduce risk and promote resilience across the life course
- 11/7/22: Bastien Guerin, PhD, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital: Improvements in dose delivery of transcranial focused ultrasound for neuromodulation
- 10/24/22: Ileana De Anda-Duran, MD, MPH, Department of Epidemiology at the Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine: Vascular Risk Factors and Cognitive function: The Bogalusa Heart Study
- 9/12/22: Lucia Crivelli, PhD, FLENI: Brain Health in Latin America: From Lifestyle Interventions to the Impact of COVID-19
- 7/25/22:Randy Buckner, PhD, Harvard University: Rationale and Opportunities for Precision Exploration of Brain Change Within Individuals
- 6/27/22: Claus Reinsberger, MD, PhD, Brigham & Women's Hospital
- 6/13/22: Ana-Maria Vranceanu, PhD, Founding Director of the Center for Health Outcomes and Interdisciplinary Research (CHOIR) at Mass General, and Valery Feigin, MD, MSc, PhD, FAAN, Director and Professor of the National Institute for Stroke and Applied Neurosciences, AUT University of Auckland
- 5/16/22: Kevin Sheth, MD, Chief of Neurocritical Care & Emergency Neurology, Yale School of Medicine
4/18/22: Susana Vacas, MD, PhD, Department of Anesthesiology, UCLA: Neuroanesthesiology and brain health
- 4/4/22: Behnam Sabayan, MD, PhD, Department of Neuroscience, University of Minnesota: Preventive neurology and brain health
- 3/21/22: Seth Gale, MA, MD, Brigham & Women’s Brain Health Program founder: The Delivery Gap: Knowledge, Care, and the Brain Health Champion study
Edmarie Guzmán-Vélez, PhD, Multicultural Alzheimer's Prevention Program (MAPP), McCance Center Faculty Member: Long-COVID symptom recovery
- 3/7/22: Peter Wayne, PhD, Director, Osher Center for Integrative Medicine: Tai Chi for Fall Prevention in Older Adults
Elyse Park, PhD, Director, Health Promotion and Resiliency Intervention Research Program, Mass General: The SMART-3RP Model of Integrative Care
- 2/7/222: Joseph Park, PhD, Department of Neurology, Mass General: Microglia in Alzheimer's disease
Martin Brentzner, MD, MSc, Research Fellow, J. Philip Kistler Stroke Research Center, Mass General: Radiomics Brain Age
- 1/24/22: An Ouyang, PhD, Fellow, Mass General Neuroscience
Marta Bento Fernandes, PhD Student, Mass General Neurology
- 1/10/22: Dean Ornish, MD, Founder, Preventive Medicine Research Institute, Professor of Medicine, UCSF
- 12/13/21: Todd Rovak, Founder, Carefull: Financial Caregiving and Behavior Monitoring
Se Hoon Choi, PhD, Department of Neurology, Mass General, McCance Center Faculty Member
- 11/29/21: Christiane Wrann, DVM, PhD, McCance Center Faculty Member
Howard Sesso, ScD, MPH, Departments of Epidemiology and Medicine, Brigham & Women's Hospital: Large-scale trials of dietary supplements on cognition and brain health
- 11/15/21: Dmitry Prokopenko, PhD, McCance Center Faculty Member: Using polygenic risk scores to predict Alzheimer’s disease in Partners Biobank
Daphne Holt, MD, PhD, Athinoula A. Martinos Center, McCance Center Faculty Member: Personal space with humans and avatars
- 11/1/21: Luisa Quinti, PhD, Department of Neurology, Mass General
Josh Roffman, MD, Co-Director, Mass General Neuroscience, Director, Mass General Early Brain Development Initiative, McCance Center Faculty Member: Brain health Begins Before Birth (B4) Study Update
- 10/18/21: David Salat, PhD, Athinoula A. Martinos Center
- 10/4/21: Randy Gollub, MD, PhD, Director of Imaging Science, McCance Center: Boosting mind-body mechanisms and outcomes for migraine
Ksenia Kastanenka, PhD, Mass General Research Institute: Boosting mind-body mechanisms and outcomes for migraine
- 9/20/21: Ronald Lazar, PhD, Director of Evelyn F. McKnight Brain Institute, Professor in Department of Neurology, University of Alabama at Birmingham: Brain Health: Mechanisms and Intervention
- 8/23/21: Olivia Okereke, MD, MS, Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Pamela Rist, ScD, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health: The morbidity burden of migraine and stroke
- 8/9/21: Sonia Vallabh, PhD, Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, McCance Center Faculty Member and Eric Minikel, PhD, Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, McCance Center Faculty Member
- 7/26/21: Jonathan Rosand, MD, MSc, Co-Director, McCance Center for Brain Health (moderator) and Steve Arnold, MD, Department of Neurology, Mass General, McCance Center Faculty Member
- 7/12/21: Georges Naasan, MD, Center for Cognitive Health, Department of Neurology, Mt. Sinai Hospital, NY and Otto Rapalino, MD, Department of Neuroradiology, Mass General, McCance Center Faculty Member: Psychosis in Dementia: From Shadows and Lights to Pathology and Imaging of SARS-CoV-2 CNS Involvement, Post-COVID Cognitive Syndrome and Post-Vaccination CNS Complications
- 5/17/21: Leigh Hochberg, MD, PhD and Haoqi Sun, PhD, Department of Neurology, Mass General and McCance Center Faculty Members: CNTR-IHP-Spaulding Neurorecovery Collaborative and Using Sleep as a Window into Health
- 5/3/21: Giovanni Fava, MD, Department of Psychiatry, University of Bologna, Italy: Clinical Characteristics of Allostatic Load
- 4/19/21: Martin Zhang, MD, PhD, Department of Neurology, Mass General, McCance Center Faculty Member
Raja Bhattacharyya, PhD, Department of Neurology, Mass General, McCance Center Faculty Member – "Modulation of γ-secretase for Alzheimer’s disease and Aβ-associated Sleep Impairments" and "Axonal Generation of Amyloid-b from Palmitoylated APP in Mitochondria-Associated Endoplasmic Reticulum Membranes (MAMs)
- 4/5/21: Gabriel de Erausquin, MD, PhD, MSc, Glenn Biggs Institute for Alzheimer’s and Neurodegenerative Diseases, UT Health, San Antonio
- 3/22/21: Sudha Seshadri, MD, DM, Department of Neurology, UT Health, San Antonio
- 3/8/21: James Cole, PhD, Department of Neuroimage Analysis, University College of London
- 2/22/21: Erin Dunn, ScD, MPH, Psychiatric and Neurodevelopmental Genetics Unit, Center for Genomic Medicine
Jacqueline Lane, PhD, Department of Anesthesia, Mass General, McCance Center Faculty Member
- 2/8/21: Karen Buch, MD, Department of Radiology, Mass General
Randy Gollub, MD, PhD, Director of Imaging Science, McCance Center
- 1/25/21: Christopher Anderson, MD, MMSc, Associate Director, Acute Stroke Service, Mass General, McCance Center Faculty Member
2/12/2021: Neuroimaging Symposium
This symposium, sponsored by the McCance Center, the Martinos Center and Harvard-MIT Health Sciences and Technology, highlighted advances in neuroimaging technologies and methods for applying machine learning to increasingly large-scale data sets with the goal of providing non-invasive, reliable indicators of brain health, resilience and vulnerability before clinical manifestations of disease. Speakers included Randy Gollub, MD, PhD, Director of Imaging Science, McCance Center for Brain Health, Simon Eickhoff, MD, PhD, Director of the Institute of Systems Neuroscience, Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf and many others.
7/15/2020: Machine Learning (ML) Generated Indices of ‘Brain Health’ from Medical Images
Presented on July 15, 2020 by trainees in the MIT Health Sciences Technology (HST) division to their peers and faculty of the Neuroimaging Training Program.
Advances in technologies that enable human brain imaging to inform clinical care are proliferating at an astounding pace. The half-day virtual symposium, “Machine Learning (ML) Generated Indices of ‘Brain Health’ from Medical Images,” opened with an expert overview of the field followed by succinct reviews of a range of topics relevant to the use of neuroimaging to improve and/or maintain brain health. These include applications of machine learning to high-fidelity brain image reconstruction, statistical techniques for robust analysis of brain data, machine learning applications to treatment design, and ethical and regulatory challenges to deploying any of these solutions. Each of the graduate student presenters selected their specific topic to harmonize across the goal of the symposium and their own thesis project domain.
The program was sponsored by the McCance Center for Brain Health at MGH, as part of our mission to harness these advances to identify and study neuroimaging indicators of brain health. As these presentations make clear, while there is still significant work to be done before neuroimaging becomes a cornerstone of primary care, the value of neuroimaging to yield meaningful information about brain health is unquestionable.
A new case of dementia is diagnosed every 3 seconds.
The brain is the only part of the body that doesn't get preventive care.
Early diagnosis of Alzheimer's, dementia and stroke could save trillions.
Our work seeks to prevent and reduce the burden of brain disease.
Three in five Americans will suffer a brain disease in their lifetime.
We're trying to get that number to zero.
Support The McCance Center
Help us leverage our unique positioning in the brain health community to make the scientific discoveries needed to allow us to accurately measure brain health and integrate preventive strategies into primary care.