Sports Medicine Service
Foot & Ankle Injuries
Mass General Sports Medicine Service
Where can I see a Mass General sports medicine provider?
Explore Foot & Ankle Injuries
Massachusetts General Hospital’s Sports Medicine team specializes in diagnosing and treating the full spectrum of foot and ankle injuries. We offer a range of non-surgical and surgical treatment options to get athletes back on their feet, safely and quickly.
Experts in Treating Foot & Ankle Injuries
Mass General, part of the Mass General Brigham integrated health system, is the premier sports medicine provider in New England, with a proven track record of expertise and innovation in orthopedic care. Our nationally recognized sports medicine experts will treat your foot and ankle pain, and help you regain the speed and strength you had before you were sidelined. We focus on getting you back to your active lifestyle as quickly and safely as possible.
For urgent foot and ankle injury appointments, please contact our virtual care clinic.
A Team Approach to Treating Athletes
Our multidisciplinary team of sports medicine doctors are experts in treating athletes who participate in all sports. We partner with you to develop a customized treatment plan tailored to your unique needs and goals, and we will provide you with comprehensive care every step of the way—from diagnosis and treatment to rehabilitation and recovery. We develop sport-specific plans to optimize your recovery, restore performance and prevent further injury.
At Mass General, our specialists work together to ensure the best possible outcome. Our orthopedic surgeons work closely with physiatrists, physical therapists, sports trainers, nutritionists, psychologists, coaches and other wellness experts to ensure we are treating the whole athlete rather than simply focusing on a temporary fix.
Our physicians drive breakthroughs in sports medicine research, technology and treatment. This means our patients receive the most advanced care, have access to an array of foot and ankle treatment options and experience safe, fast recoveries.
Common Foot & Ankle Injuries
We treat the full spectrum of medical conditions that affect the muscles, bones and joints of an athlete’s foot and ankle, including:
- Achilles tendon injuries
- Achilles tendon ruptures
- Adult-acquired flat foot
- Ankle fractures and sprains
- Cartilage injury
- Cavus foot
- Diabetic foot disorders
- Fifth (5th) metatarsal injuries
- Fractures/breaks of the ankle and foot
- Hallux rigidus
- Ligament tear
- Lisfranc injuries
- Morton's neuroma
- Osteochondral defects
- Overuse injuries
- Peroneal tendon injuries
- Plantar fasciitis
- Stress fractures
- Tendon tear
- Turf toe
Options for Treating Foot & Ankle Injuries
Treatment options for foot and ankle injuries depend on your medical history, the nature and severity of your injury and pain, the condition of your feet and ankles, your age and your overall health. Your treatment plan may involve one or more of the following approaches:
- Activity modifications
- Bracing or casting the foot and ankle
- Customized footwear
- Over-the-counter medications
- Physical therapy
- Steroid injections
- Bunion correction
- Ankle replacement surgery (arthroscopy)
- Ankle stabilization
- Fracture fixation
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Tendon repair
- Tendon transfer
Our sports medicine service treats athletes across all sports and with all types of injuries and conditions. The team members below specialize in caring for the foot and ankle:
- Sports Medicine Physiatrist
- Team Physician: New England Revolution, USA Paralympic Soccer; Consultant: New England Patriots, Boston Bruins, Harvard University, Curry College, Suffolk University
- Associate Program Director: Spaulding/Harvard Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency Training Program
- Director, Emergency Sports Medicine
- Head Team Physician, Northeastern University; Team Physician: New England Patriots
- Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
- Sports Medicine Physiatrist
- Team Physician: Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots; Consultant: Boston Ballet, Boston Bruins, New England Revolution
- Assistant Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Harvard Medical School
- Foot, Ankle & Knee Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Team Physician: Boston Red Sox; Consultant: New England Patriots, Boston Bruins, New England Revolution
- Instructor in Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
- Director, Foot & Ankle Sports Medicine
- Foot & Ankle Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Instructor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
- Physician Assistant with Dr. Nikolaos Paschos
- Physician Assistant with Dr. George Theodore
- Physician Assistant with Dr. Gregory Waryasz
Sports Medicine Virtual Visits
Mass General Brigham's Sports Medicine Program now offers urgent access virtual visits. Call 617-643-3333 if you’re experiencing a sports injury.
Women's Sports Medicine Program
We provide our patients with comprehensive, coordinated care from experts who understand the unique needs of women in sports.
Mass General Brigham Sports Medicine
Mass General is a founding member of Mass General Brigham, an integrated health system. Mass General Brigham sports medicine clinicians work at the leading hospitals and research centers in New England and are experts in caring for athletes across all sports with all types of injuries and medical conditions.