Frequently asked questions for new hires at Massachusetts General Hospital. We hope that the information below will make your transition to Mass General seamless. Welcome!

New Hire Paperwork

If I don't have the required employment verification documentation, can I complete the I-9 Employment Verification form?

No, you must have proper documentation for the form I-9 to be completed. The material can be taken home after the first day of orientation and returned on the second day of orientation with the proper identification. All documents must be original and unexpired. No copies can be accepted.

What happens if I cannot get the proper documentation?

You will not be able to work at Mass General until proper documentation is provided. It is in violation of federal law. You should immediately contact New Hire Coordinator Amanda Poplaski at or 617-724-7635.

If I am transferring from a Partners-affiliate hospital, do I need to fill out the I-9 and other new hire paperwork?

Yes. All Partners affiliates are separate employers. You must have Mass General documentation for your Mass General file.

If I am transferring from Bulfinch Temporary to Regular Status, do I need to fill out the I-9 and other new hire paperwork?

No. Your information will be transferred from your temporary file to your employee file.

Is a Social Security Card necessary if I have other documentation for employment verification?

Yes. We use the Social Security card to verify that your name and number in our Human Resources Information System, PeopleSoft, is exactly as it appears on your Social Security card. We provide this information to the Social Security Administration for wage reporting purposes and need to ensure its accuracy. If you need to replace a lost Social Security card, you may go to any Social Security Office and request a replacement. There is one located near Mass General at the Tip O'Neill Building (10 Causeway St.).


Where do I go for my meeting with the new hire coordinator?

Unless otherwise specified, there is no separate meeting with the new hire coordinator. The New Hire Sign-On appointment is a group appointment at the middle and end of the first day of orientation. The new hire coordinator will be present to collect the form I-9.

Do I have to attend my Occupational Health Services (OHS) appointment if it is scheduled during my shift?

Yes, the Occupational Health appointment is required.

If I already met with Occupational Health Services when I was a volunteer or non-employee at MGH, do I need to go again?

Yes, the pre-placement screening for new hires may vary from screenings performed for volunteers and non-employees. Occupational Health Services would like to meet with all hires who are not transferring from Bulfinch Temporary Services.

New Employee Orientation and Additional Orientations

Do I have to stay for the entire Day 1 or can I leave at 1:45 pm?

Benefits-eligible employees are required to stay for the entire orientation session. If you are not benefits-eligible (you will work less than 20 standard hours per week or in a per-diem status), you may leave at 1:45 pm.

Am I required to attend the Customer Service Training (Orientation Day 2)?

Yes. Customer Service is a required component of the new employee orientation.

Where can I find more information about the Nursing & Patient Care Services Orientation?

Employees are enrolled in the Nursing & Patient Care Services Orientation at the request of their manager. Nursing & Patient Care Services Orientation is held after New Employee Orientation every other Tuesday (or Wednesday, if Monday is a holiday) from 1:00 to 4:30 pm in Room 1604 at the MGH Training and Workforce Development Office at 125 Nashua St.

I am not a Staff Nurse. Why must I attend the Nursing & Patient Care Services Orientation?

All employees whose work area is on a nursing unit must attend the Nursing & Patient Care Services Orientation.

ID Badges

How do I get my photo ID badge?

A representative from the photo ID office will be present at Orientation Day 1 to take your picture for your ID badge. All badges will be delivered at the end of Orientation Day 2 for pick up.

What if I did not have my picture taken on Orientation Day 1?

The photo ID offices are located at our two Police and Security locations:

  • Wang Ambulatory Care Center, second floor, Room 232, Main Campus
  • Charlestown Navy Yard, Building 149, main lobby
My name, title or department is incorrect on my badge. How do I fix this?

Please visit the photo ID offices as listed above for any corrections.


When do I get paid?

Paycheck distribution is weekly, occurs on Thursday, and is retroactive pay. If this is your first week of employment, you will be paid on the Thursday following your first week. You should enroll in Direct Deposit as soon as possible as it may take two weeks for enrollment to establish. Please contact your timekeeper for instructions on how to pick up your paycheck prior to direct deposit kicking in. Once your direct deposit is enrolled, you may view your paycheck on Tuesday afternoon prior to being paid on Thursday by navigating this PeopleSoft path: Employee Self Service > myPay > Paychecks.

Who is my timekeeper?

You should ask your manager or supervisor upon reporting to your department. Your timekeeper is the person to whom you will report your weekly hours.

How do I report my hours?

If you are an hourly employee or salaried less than 20 hours, you will need to speak with your department timekeeper to learn how you will be reporting your time. This is to ensure you are paid properly. There are two electronic timekeeping systems to record your time: by swiping your badge, or by signing in at your workstation.

Whom do I contact if there is a problem with my paycheck?

You should report any discrepancies on your paycheck to your timekeeper. If your timekeeper cannot assist, please call payroll at 617-726-2148 (6-2148 from MGH).


When will I be covered under my health coverage benefits?

If you are a regular status employee scheduled to work 20 hours or more per week, your benefits are effective on your date of hire or your change of status date. For example, if you change from a per diem to regular status employee, you are benefits-eligible on the effective date of this change.

I changed to a regular status employee (i.e. per diem to regular, or Bulfinch temp to regular status), but I cannot enroll in benefits via eBenefits. What can I do?

You will need to contact your new manger to ensure that your status was updated in the PeopleSoft HR information system. Once your transfer record is updated, you will be able to enroll online within 72 hours of the update. If the problem is not resolved after this time, please contact the HR Support Center at 1-833-AskMyHR (275-6947) to open your enrollment.

Do I have to submit all of my benefit elections through eBenefits at the same time?

Medical, dental, vision, life and flexible spending accounts must be submitted at the same time. You can enroll in Tax-Sheltered Annuity accounts at any time throughout the year.

If I am not ready to make my benefit elections by the end of Orientation, can I take them home and submit them on a later date?

Yes. You can make your elections anytime within 30 days of hire. However, you will be responsible for the retroactive costs for those selections. If you do not make your elections within 30 days or do not opt-out of benefits you will automatically be enrolled in the Partners Select employee-only coverage plan for the remainder of the year.

What is Partners Plus and Partners Select?

Partners Plus and Partners Select are medical insurance coverages provided by Partners HealthCare.

Computer Access

How do I obtain my NT logon/username and computer password?

Employees must follow the Password Self-Service Process to obtain a username and create a password. The Password Self-Service Process can only be performed after your date of hire. Instructions will be provided at orientation about how to obtain your username and password. If any problems should arise during this process, please contact the MGH Help Desk at 617-726-5085.

As a Partners-Affiliate transfer, I already have a username and password, do I need to perform the Password Self-Service Process again?

No. If you are a direct transfer from a Partners affiliate, you may continue to use the username and password that you obtained at the affiliate. However, if you are unable to access the computer systems, you should complete the Password Self-Service Process as an existing user to reset the password.

How do I access my email and PeopleSoft from home?

You may access your email by going to PeopleSoft can be accessed by going to – please note you must register a phone number by going to after setting up your Partners username and password in order to access PeopleSoft externally. If you are connecting to any MGH email from a portable device (laptop, smartphone, netbook, etc.), the device must be encrypted. PeopleSoft Employee Self-Service may be accessed on any device regardless of encryption.

I cannot access PeopleSoft from my home computer. What can I do?

If you are unable to access the link from home, you may access it from your workstation, or you may use one of the public PeopleSoft terminals set up at the following locations at the hospital:

  • Main Hospital, Bulfinch room 107, Employee Access Center
  • Merrimac Street, 5th floor
Do I have to encrypt my portable electronic devices?

In order to comply with federal and state laws, Partners (including MGH/MGPO) policy requires that all laptops/tablets used for MGH/Partners business, to connect to any MGH/Partners resources, or for storing any MGH/Partners information (including email and PeopleSoft) be encrypted.

Who can I contact with any computer-related issues?
  • For issues regarding computer access, please verify that your manager has granted access.
  • For PeopleSoft issues, please contact the Employee Access Center at 617-726-6338 or email
  • For all other computer issues, please contact the Help Desk at 617-726-5085 or visit the help desk website.

Tuition Assistance

Does MGH have a Tuition Assistance program?

Yes. MGH offers a program to employees who have completed at least six months of continuous service at the hospital. You may request tuition assistance through PeopleSoft.For more information, please visit the Learning and Development section of the Ask myHR Portal (Partners username and password needed for access). You may also call the MGH Training and Workforce Development Office at 617-726-2230.

MBTA Pass Program

How do I purchase a subsidized MBTA pass?

You have until the second Thursday of every month to sign up or cancel an MBTA pass for the following month. You must enroll online via PeopleSoft Employee Self Service. Once you enroll, the enrollment will carry over every month. Should you miss the deadline, you may contact Parking and Commuter Services at 617-724-6588 to possibly purchase a pass at the discounted rate. Parking and Commuter Services will only sell the extra MBTA passes up to the business day before the last business day of the month. The office is located in the hospital in the Wang Ambulatory Care Center, Room 232.

You should expect to pick up your first Charliecard (link pass) or your Charlieticket (commuter rail and inner and outer express bus passes) from your timekeeper at your department