Get data and expert opinions about receiving the COVID-19 vaccine while pregnant or breastfeeding.
Massachusetts General Hospital Global OB/GYN addresses women’s health care needs throughout the world."When in distress, everyone is our neighbor" was first uttered in 1810 by Dr. Warren and Dr. Jackson in their call to found a public hospital that became Massachusetts General Hospital. While Mass General’s neighbors were initially the citizens of Boston and New England, our concept of "neighbor" has grown over the past 200 years to include everyone in distress, regardless of their home.
Our MissionMass General Global OB/GYN integrates three core missions to address the unmet promise of health care for all women throughout the world by:
- Providing care
- Organizing education and trainings
- Conducting research and leading innovation
Our WorkGlobal OB/GYN at Mass General carries out our mission by:
- Providing collaborative, safe and sustainable service to underserved groups in resource-poor settings both domestically and abroad
- Training future leaders in both the US and in the countries where we work in global and underserved women’s health through bidirectional educational experiences for both US and in-country faculty and trainees
- Enhancing knowledge about the diagnosis and management of obstetrics and gynecologic diseases unique to resource-poor settings both domestically and abroad
- Conducting innovative and locally-relevant scientific studies to widen the evidence base for the care of women in resource-poor settings both domestically and abroad
Active Research Collaborations
- Implementing cervical cancer screening in urban slums (Annekathryn Goodman, MD)
- Identifying simple accurate methods to establish gestational age before and after birth (Mariam Naqvi, MD)
- Evaluating cervical length as risk factor for preterm birth among HIV-infected women (Ingrid Liff, MD)
- Retrospective review of trial of labour after cesarean section (Adeline Boatin, MD)
- Community health worker administered self sampling for cervical HPV testing – feasibility project (Thomas Randall, MD)
- Feasibility study of wireless maternal and fetal monitoring (Adeline Boatin, MD; Jessica Haberer, MD)
- Managing delivery after cesarean section: a prospective cohort study to assess rates of adverse outcomes and qualitative study to understand pregnant women’s behaviors (Adeline Boatin, MD)
- UPIM:Postpartum Infection at Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital—epidemiology, microbiology and outcomes (Lisa Bebell, MD; Adeline Boatin, MD)
- Vital Sign Assessment amongst inpatient obstetric patients (Adeline Boatin, MD; Jessica Haberer, MD)
Sample Training Initiatives
- Scientific Seminar on Gyn Oncology: Case-based discussion of gynecologic oncology treatment
- Gyn Care Initiative: Ensure MRRH providers have the adequate training to provide safe and effective abortion and post-abortion care; to ensure MRRH has essential equipment to provide safe and effective abortion and post-abortion care; and to create mechanisms to ensure on-going quality in the provision of safe and effective abortion and post-abortion care
- Midwives for Haiti: Training skilled birth attendants
- Mar | 3 | 2021
Episode #54 of the Charged podcast
- Patient Education
- Jan | 27 | 2021
A medida que la vacuna esté disponible para las personas en todo EE.UU., hay muchas preguntas sobre la recepción de la misma durante el embarazo o la lactancia.
- Jan | 21 | 2021
The Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology is pleased to expand midwifery care for patients on the North Shore.
- Jan | 19 | 2021
Mai Uchida, MD, shares her “My Why”—outlining her decision to get the COVID vaccine during her pregnancy. Dr. Uchida hopes that she can be of help to anyone struggling with a similar decision by sharing her thought process, her emotions as a mother and her expertise as a physician.
- Patient Education
- Jan | 11 | 2021
“How much does IVF cost?” is a common question. Read on to better understand IVF costs at Mass General and insurance coverage for fertility services.