The annual career conference is an opportunity for all benefits-eligible faculty at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) to meet once a year with his or her leader to discuss that faculty member's career development.
In 2006, Peter Slavin, MD, MGH president, and David Torchiana, MD, former MGPO chairman and chief executive officer, asked the Center for Faculty Development (CFD) to lead an initiative to implement the ACC process for all benefits-eligible faculty. Click here for copy of their message to faculty.
Click below for a copy of the ACC Form
Please note that some departments are using an approved alternate form. See your Department Chair for a copy of this form.
Preparation is the key to a successful meeting.
Before the meeting, the leader should:
- Recognize his or her role in helping faculty advance
- Consider the department's overall goals and determine how the faculty member fits with these goals
- Define expectations of the faculty member
- Be familiar with HMS promotion criteria and where each faculty member sits
- Promote resources available to faculty
- Tips on having an effective ACC
Before the meeting, the faculty member should:
- Be prepared to discuss accomplishments
- Update his or her CV.
- Think about developing mentoring relationships
- Clarify your contributions and the leader's expectations.
- Develop an action plan that improves productivity.
- Discuss how your skills align with your department's mission, as you become a more experienced researcher, clinical or teacher.
- Quick tips to prepare for your ACC.
New! 2022 Electronic ACC System
The MGH Center for Faculty Development is pleased to announce a new electronic Annual Career Conferences (ACC) system. This system was developed by representatives from each department, Clearpath Solutions, and the Center for Faculty Development in an effort to reduce administrative burden and collect actionable data. The information collected will be used to better develop resources and programs for professional development.
Frequently asked questions
Are there instructions for how to use the new system?
How do I receive the incentive?
We acknowledge that the administrative burden on faculty for this first year may be high, which is why all faculty who complete their ACC form using this new system will receive $100 as an incentive. The $100 incentive will be available until 4/30/23, which means that faculty that completed their ACC prior to the start of the new system will receive it when they use the new system for the first time (next year). The CFD will work with departments on distributing funds.
Why is my MGB username not working to log on to the system?
We're setting up faculty on the system department by department based on their ACC timeframe each year, so your department's user profiles have likely not been set up yet.
You will receive an email with the link to your department's form as soon as it's ready and you'll have access to the system with your MGB username at that point. If you believe your department has already been set up but you're still not able to log on, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.