CENTER FOR FACULTY DEVELOPMENT
John T. Potts, Jr., MD, Faculty Mentoring Award
2019 Award Recipient: Carlos A. Camargo Jr., MD, DrPH
Alasdair K.T. Conn, MD, Chair in Emergency Medicine, MGH; Professor of Emergency Medicine & Medicine, HMS; Professor of Epidemiology at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
2018 Award Recipient: Rochelle Walensky, MD, MPH
Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases and Co-Director of the Medical Practice Evaluation Center, MGH; Professor of Medicine, HMS
2017 Award Recipient: Jennifer Temel, MD
Director of the MGH Cancer Outcomes Research Program (CORe) and Clinical Director of Thoracic Oncology, MGH; Professor of Medicine, HMS
2016 Award Recipient: David F.M. Brown, MD
Chief, Department of Emergency Medicine, MGH; MGH Trustees Professor of Emergency Medicine, HMS
2015 Award Recipient: Hasan Bazari, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine, HMS; Director, The Morton N. Swartz, MD Initiative; Program Director Emeritus, Internal Medicine Residency Program, MGH
2014 Award Recipient: Stephen B. Calderwood, MD
Morton N. Swartz MD Academy Professor of Medicine (Microbiology and Immunobiology), HMS; Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases; Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases; and Director of Undergraduate Medical Education at MGH
2013 Award Recipient: Isaac Schiff, MD
Joe Vincent Meigs Professor of Gynecology at Harvard Medical School and Chief of the MGH Vincent Obstetrics and Gynecology Service
2012 Award Recipient: Maurizio Fava, MD
Slater Family Professor of Psychiatry, HMS; Executive Vice Chair, Department of Psychiatry; Director, Depression Clinical and Research Program (DCRP); Executive and the Director, Clinical Trials Network & Institute (CTNI), MGH
Inaugural Award Recipient: John T. Potts, Jr., MD
Jackson Distinguished Professor of Clinical Medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School
Do you have an outstanding mentor? Do you know an outstanding mentor?
The Center for Faculty Development invites nominations for the John T. Potts, Jr., MD, Faculty Mentoring Award. This $5,000 award will be given to a faculty member from any MGH department who has contributed to the success of junior faculty members and trainees and demonstrated excellence in a number of ways including:
- Having a positive impact on careers of junior faculty
- Implementing ideas/programs that promote faculty success
- Demonstrating sustained interest and success in mentoring of junior faculty and/or trainees
- Fostering and encouraging professional development of junior faculty and trainees
- Facilitating and/or developing approaches to work-life balance
Created to honor John T. Potts, Jr., MD’s outstanding achievements in faculty mentoring, this award seeks to recognize senior faculty members (MD, PhD, or equivalent advanced degree) with 10 or more years of mentoring experience at MGH. Dr. Potts is the Jackson Distinguished Professor of Clinical Medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) and Harvard Medical School. He served as Chairman of the Department of Medicine at MGH and Physician-in-Chief from 1981 to 1996 and as Director of Research from 1995 to 2004. He has served as a tireless mentor and advisor to guide countless mentees on to successful career.
- MGH appointment
- MD, PhD, or equivalent advanced degree
- Harvard Medical School Appointment
- 10 or more years of mentoring experience at MGH
Nominees will be evaluated and ranked by a multidisciplinary Review Committee. Nominators will be notified in December 2020.
- Completed Nomination Form
- Nominations for this award should be accompanied by a maximum of three nominating letters (not to exceed 2 pages each)
- Nominee's HMS CV
How to Apply
The Center for Faculty Development is now accepting applications online via the CFD Award Manager.
This user-friendly system allows MGH researchers to submit electronic applications to the Center for Faculty Development. The system has been designed to allow users to:
- Create a personal profile which will auto populate your future CFD applications.
- View current calls and apply to open opportunities.
- Assign a delegate to submit an application to the CFD on behalf of the applicant (optional).
- Save and edit current applications in progress.
- Submit completed applications.
- View all your CFD applications that have been submitted via the online grants system.
Instructions for Applying Online
To get started, please click the "Apply" button at the top of this page.
- Create your account: Login using your Mass General Brigham credentials and fill-out the profile information.
- Complete the application: once your profile is complete, you will automatically progress through to the online application. If you cannot complete the application at one time, “save” the application and return to it at a later time to finish. Before submitting your application, you will have the ability to make changes to the application.
- Submit your application: once you have completed the application click on the “submit” button at the bottom of the page. Once you submit it, you will not be able to make further changes unless you send a request to ECOR (note that once the deadline passes, request to make changes will not be accepted).
- To avoid losing your work, remember to save frequently
- You can only upload PDF documents. Limit characters to A-Z, a-z and 0-9 when naming PDF documents. Do not use periods, commas, or dashes in the file name.
- If you previously created a profile, please ensure your information is current
Click "Apply" at the top of the web page to begin the application.
If you have questions, please submit them via e-mail to email@example.com.