CENTER FOR FACULTY DEVELOPMENT
Outstanding Mentor of UiM Faculty and Trainees Award
2022 UiM Faculty and Trainees Award Recipient: Margarita Alegría, PhD
Chief, Disparities Research Unit, Department of Medicine, MGH and Mongan Institute; the Harry G. Lehnert, Jr. and Lucille F. Cyr Endowed Chair, Mass General Research Institute; and Professor in the Departments of Medicine & Psychiatry, HMS
2021 UiM Faculty and Trainees Award Recipient: Derri L. Shtasel, MD, MPH
Associate Professor of Psychiatry, HMS; Associate Chief, Community Psychiatry and the Michele and Howard J. Kessler Chair and Director of the MGH Division of Public and Community Psychiatry; and Co-chair of the Race Equity Subcommittee of ECOCH
Do you have or know an outstanding mentor?
As part of the "CFD Excellence in Mentoring Awards," the MGH Center for Faculty Development invites nominations for the Outstanding Mentor of Underrepresented in Medicine (UiM) Faculty and Trainees Award. This $1,000 award will be given to a faculty member from any MGH department who serves as a strong collaborator, mentor, and sponsor of UiM faculty and trainees. The recipient will have demonstrated the support of UiM colleagues by:
- Listening in a generous and capacious way
- Engaging in the deliberate inclusion UiM colleagues
- Providing career advice, feedback, encouragement, and motivation
- Affirming, sponsoring, and celebrating UiM colleagues
- Being an upstander in calling out bias
- Advocating to change organizational practices and norms to remove barriers that inhibit the careers of UiM colleagues
- Providing public support for the advancement and promotion of UiM colleagues through power opportunities and connections
Research demonstrates that societal and institutional biases perpetuate the existence of hurdles that Underrepresented in Medicine (UiM) faculty and trainees confront as they try to advance their careers toward the success their talent deserves. To encourage and sustain a culture of stronger sponsorship of UiM faculty and trainees and one in which institutional biases are confronted and changed, the MGH Center for Faculty Development, in consultation with the MGH Center for Diversity and Inclusion, created the Outstanding Mentor of UiMs Award to recognize faculty who support and empower their UiM colleagues in advancing their career and achieving their professional goals and who actively work to create a more open, equitable environment in which UiMs can thrive, grow, and attain major leadership roles.
- MGH faculty appointment
- MD, PhD, or equivalent advanced degree
- Harvard Medical School faculty appointment
Nominees will be evaluated and ranked by a multidisciplinary Review Committee. Nominees will be notified and announced in January 2024.
- Completed Nomination Form
- Nominations for this award should be accompanied by a maximum of three nominating letters that can be jointly written (not to exceed 2 pages each)
- Nominee's HMS CV
It is recommended that the letters include specific anecdotes and examples that demonstrate the nominee’s commitment to UiMs’ professional and personal development as well as the nominee’s efforts to remove barriers that UiM faculty and trainees face and provide public support for the advancement and promotion of their UiM colleagues.
How to Nominate
This user-friendly portal allows you to submit electronic nominations to the Center for Faculty Development. The portal has been designed to allow users to:
- View current calls and submit to open opportunities
- Save and edit current nominations in progress
- Submit completed nominations
- View all your CFD nominations that have been submitted via the online portal
If you have questions, please submit them via e-mail to email@example.com.