Mass General OB/GYN
2022 Annual Report
Caring for the community in Boston and beyond
We provide obstetrical, fertility, and gynecological care for patients on the main Mass General campus in Boston and in the communities of suburban Boston, including Danvers and Waltham.
This year we welcomed 3,600 babies, expanded our locations to offer you more convenient care, reaffirmed our commitment to offering a complete range of reproductive health options, and more.
While our real rewards are caring for patients, having a breakthrough in our research, and more, it is also meaningful when our work is recognized by our peers and colleagues.
Patient Care is at the Center of What We Do
Please enjoy this selection of stories highlighting the patients we care for and the providers who care for them.
United Against Racism: Striving for Equitable Birth Outcomes Through Doula Care
The Birth Partners Doula pilot project provides culturally and linguistically concordant doulas to eligible pregnant people delivering at Mass General. There is mounting evidence that doula care can improve birth and postpartum outcomes and the experience of birthing people at risk.
Fertility Center Celebrates 30 Years of Care
This year, the Mass General Fertility Center is celebrating 30 years of care. Their clinical work and cutting-edge research across the field of reproductive health and fertility has helped thousands of people across New England and beyond.
Q&A with Blake Rainie Slack: From a Global Health Career to Midwifery
After a trip to the Philippines, Blake Rainie Slack, CNM, was so inspired by the work being done by the midwives there that she decided to change careers when she returned to the US. Blake shares what she loves most about her career, what motivates her, and the future she envisions for midwifery.
Ama's Patient Story: My High-Risk Pregnancy during the Pandemic
Ama experienced a high-risk pregnancy during the peak of the pandemic. With her husband unable to attend appointments, her care team in the Massachusetts General Hospital Department of OBGYN became her surrogate family, helping her to deliver a healthy baby boy.
Finding Empowering Midwifery Care for My Pregnancy
After a miscarriage, Colleen found the empowering care offered by Mass General Midwives. They helped her navigate her second pregnancy and welcome a healthy baby.
Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery: Q&A with Marcus Ortega, MD
Dr. Ortega talks about what drew him to this specialty, his new practice in New Hampshire and his research that aims to help patients recover faster following surgery.
Our labor and delivery team welcomed 3,662 babies:
22% thanks to the Fertility Center and 20% under the care of Mass General midwives
This year, our investigators were awarded more than $9,000,000 in grants.
Research articles and reviews published
By our clinician-investigators in JAMA, NEJM, Science, Nature and more.
Obstetrics and Gynecology Department Leadership
It takes everyone, from trainees to nurses, administrative staff to faculty, for our department to provide high-quality care. Our departmental leaders help ensure quality, safety, equity, and inclusion for our patients and staff.
- Chief, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Vice Chair, Obstetrics, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Charles & Robert Montraville Green Associate Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, Harvard Medical School
- OB/GYN Vice Chair, Education and Wellbeing
- OB/GYN Vice Chair for Quality, Equity and Safety
- Medical Director Labor & Delivery and Postpartum
- Departmental Simulation Officer
- Chief, Gynecologic Oncology
- Director, Gynecologic Oncology Fellowship Program
- OB/GYN Vice Chair for Administration
- Associate Director / Advisor - Harvard Medical School - Peabody Society
- Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School
- Director, OB/GYN MassGeneral Neighborhood Health Center
- Chief, Division of Reproductive Medicine and IVF
- Director, Massachusetts General Fertility Center
- Co-Director, MGH Integrated Fibroid Program
- Vice Chair, Gynecology
- Director, Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery
- Interim Chief, Division of Reproductive Medicine and IVF
- Division Director, Benign Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Interim Chief, Vincent Obstetrics and Gynecology Nurse-Midwifery Service
- Director, Vincent Center for Reproductive Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital
OB/GYN at Mass General
The Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology at Mass General offers personalized care and innovative treatments from leading experts in obstetrics, gynecology, fertility, cancer, and urogynecology. Learn more about our department.