At Mass General, we provide convenient ways to access your providers. Our practices offer care that comes to you. Virtual Visits are one-on-one video or phone appointments with your health care provider. These visits allow you to get medical care and guidance from the comfort of your home. Contact your provider to find out if a virtual visit may be right for your next appointment.
Benefits of Virtual Visits
- Avoid taking a day off from work or school
- Save on the costs of traveling into Boston and paying for parking
- Receive personalized and convenient care from the Mass General staff you know
- Complete your visit from the comfort of your home, work or any other private location
Virtual Visit Security
We are using a version of Zoom designed for healthcare that has been built with privacy and security in mind. Each appointment uses new meeting link available only to the provider and patient. There is a waiting room function which providers use to admit people into the visit so that no uninvited guests may join. All visits are encrypted, video and chat cannot be recorded and personal health information is not saved by the video system. Patient Gateway Zoom virtual visits are designed to make seeing your provider easy, while keeping you and your health information safe and secure.
Preparing for Your Virtual Visit
Preparing Your Computer/Device
- You can use almost any PC, Mac or mobile device as long as it has:
- A high-quality camera
- A high-quality microphone
- High-quality speakers
- A strong internet connection
- It’s best to restart your computer every day (or at least every few days) for it to run as efficiently as possible.
- Close any unnecessary programs and applications. These take away from resources needed for your computer to run efficiently.
- Install recommended updates from sources you trust, such as Microsoft and Apple. Keeping software up to date will help ensure the performance and compatibility of your device.
- Locate the volume control on your device. You may need to adjust the volume or mute/unmute your speakers.
- If possible, use a wired network connection instead of Wi-Fi to ensure the best connection possible.
Preparing Your Environment
- Sit a comfortable distance from the camera so your doctor can see and hear your clearly.
- Sit in a location without windows or bright lights behind you.
- Place your device on a table or desk facing you to stabilize the camera and to prevent the speakers/microphone from being blocked. We do not recommend holding your device during your visit.
- To keep background noise to a minimum, close any doors and shut any windows.