How to Apply
ESOL for Researchers is offered to the MGH research community twice a year in the Spring and Fall semesters. The course covers:
- Speaking and Listening
- Vocabulary and Grammar
Applications are now closed for the Spring 2020 semester. For further information about applying for a future semester, please email email@example.com.
All accepted applicants are required to take a brief oral placement test prior to the start of the semester. You will receive an email from the Office for Research Careers (ORC) with the date, time, location, and sign-up information for the placement test.
ORC ESOL classes meet once per week for 12 weeks. Classes are held in the early evening with duration of two hours and 30 minutes. The intent is to give exposure to both academic English as well as conversational English in ‘real life’ settings.
Regular attendance and being on time are basic requirements for effective completion of this course. Students with four or more absences will not be eligible for a certificate of completion.
Expectation Statement for the course:
This class will help improve your English in the following ways:
- Exposure to and use of idiomatic language
- Pronunciation improvement
- Listening to English in academic and non-academic settings
- Discussing both academic and non-academic topics (current events, history, culture)
- Exposure to American culture
- Short presentations and small public speaking tasks
This class is not specifically designed to cover the following:
- Article/abstract writing
- Individual presentation preparation
- Medical journal discussion and/or review
Deadlines and Course Dates
SPRING 2020 Course Schedule: February - May 2020
Application Open: October 31, 2019
Application Deadline: November 27, 2019 at 4:00 PM